Look, since you want your wedding to be the best day in the history of time, it’s obvious there’s a ton of pressure—but that doesn’t mean it has to be super stressful. With the right hacks and wedding planning tips, your day will be smooth sailing.
Instead of spending your day worrying if the guests are happy, if your caterer got there on time, or if your heels are going to sink into the ground and make you trip on your walk down the aisle, you should be thinking about how happy your life will be and that you’ll get to spend the entire night eating great food, dancing, and toasting with family and friends—and with our roundup of useful little tidbits, this dream can totally become a reality.
To make your life easier, we’ve gathered some of the most useful and practical wedding hacks that every bride should take into consideration.
2. Instead of licking envelopes, use a glue stick—no paper cuts or gross aftertaste.
3. Use high heel attachments to keep you from sinking into grass during an outdoor wedding. There’s nothing worse then a wobbly walk down the aisle. While you’re at it, put a basket out for your guests.
4. For an outdoor summer wedding, use popsicle sticks to make programs that double as fans so guests can keep cool while you’re saying your vows.
5. Use glass cloches to keep bugs out of food.
6. Most wedding shoes are brand-new, so rub the bottom with sandpaper before wearing to de-slick the soles.
7. Have guests write their addresses on postcards. You’ll save money on postage and time writing addresses for thank you notes. Win-win!
8. Stash your lipstick under your napkin at your table—that way, you can apply without having to go back to the bridal suite.
9. Stay away from dairy—a natural inflammatory—for three days leading up to wedding to de-bloat naturally.
10. Keep your veil in place with magnetic veil weights—especially if you’re having an outdoor wedding on a windy day.
11. Need to provide your own ceremony seating? Call local businesses with seating (like a funeral home) to see if they’d lend out their chairs before calling rental companies.
12. Consider using your venue’s sound system to play music from an iPod or your computer for the ceremony and cocktail hour—it’ll save tons of cash. Why not spend on the music during the reception instead, when people will actually be dancing, rather than listening or mingling?
13. When it comes to table arrangements, check out flea markets for vintage vases instead of spending extra cash on floral arrangement vases from the florist.
14. For a modern touch, opt for food trucks at your wedding to save money on catering.
15. Have your bridesmaids rent their dresses from an online retailer like Rent the Runway since they’ll more than likely only be wearing the dress once.
16. Invest in a personalized stamp with you and your hubby-to-be’s names and address on it—a thank you note time-saver!
17. Have your photographer only photograph the ceremony to save cash, and rely on friends’ photos for the reception (extra points if you create a hashtag, which will function as a real-time wedding album).